Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The worst joke I ever told.

I've told you about my crowning moment when it comes to humor, now let me tell to about my worst. Oddly enough, this story also takes place during my pregnancy with Portia. Well, immediately following it, I should say.
Now,I have very few memories of this event. I've compiled the eyewitness accounts to tell you his, so if you're a bit confused, welcome to my brain.
Here's some backstory for ya. Portia was born on the 3rd of June, around 1 pm. The following day, June 2nd, I started feeling contractions. They were small and not consistent, so I went about my business. That night, I was kept awake by said contractions, and the thrill of not being pregnant anymore. I didn't sleep at all. At 6 am, my labor got serious and we headed to the hospital. 7 hours later, Portia graced us with her presence.
Now, the first night Portia was here was a real doozy. She wanted to eat constantly. Literally, I sat up in bed for hours upon hours trying to feed my cranky newborn. Night 2 of no sleep. I was starting to lose it. At one point, a nurse came in, took one look at me and said "Why does she look like that? Is she ok?"
Finally, at about 9 am on June 4th, Portia slept. So I hunkered down for a much needed nap. My parents, Carrie-sister, and Brandon all chatted quietly in the room.
As I settled into my coma, I heard them talking about how my sister, Jeannine, had called a few minutes ago.

Here it is. Brace yourselves.

I spoke up, saying "Yeah, she called to say you guys SUCK!" I thought it was hilarious.
Muffled by exhaustion and the Spirits of Humor trying to kill me before I embarrassed them any further, my voice was too quiet and no one but Brandon heard me.
Everyone else asked what I said, maybe thinking it was important, and Brandon tried to simultaneously tell them to forget it and tell me to shut up. But I couldn't let them miss my hilarity!
So I said it again, louder. And again. And again.
Finally they all heard me, and laughed. Not at my joke, but at how ridiculous I was. And how I just kept going with it. I couldn't let it go. I was certain that it was absolutely the funniest thing I'd ever said.
Finally, Brandon convinced me to be quiet and sleep, and everyone probably talked about how crazy I was. They were right.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is my worst joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment