Tuesday, October 13, 2009

my inner struggle



Those of you who see me often probably notice that my hair changes alot. I usually get bored with it about once a month, and have to do something different. That is why my hair has been colored 5-7 times and cut 2-4 times since Portia was born. I realized that I have been trying to find the happy medium between edgy and hip, and being a mom. My problem is that I want to look like what I am: a hair stylist. I adore crazy colors, dramatic cuts, and obnoxious styles. I am never satisfied with my hair when it is symmetrical, or all one color. In college, I once came across a picture of Joss Stone (above), and I loved her hair. I admire her courage and style, and her ability to pull something like that off. I desperately want my head to look like that. But do I dare put hot pink, purple, and red streaks throughout my entire head? No, because I have a strange fear of Portia, when 15, looking at pictures of her mother and thinking, "What an idiot." So, for now, I'll have to be content with being a brunette. Hmmm, maybe with slight hues of violet and red.

1 comment:

  1. ah yes, the desire that lurks in all O'Dell girls to be more than we are. To grab attention and yet be subtle. To be elegant and edgy. Can it be done? I keep trying!

    ReplyDelete