Thursday, November 29, 2012

This is a tough thing for me to write about, so bear with me.

Several years ago, while I was in college at BYU, I found myself struggling. Through some poor choices on my part, and some situations which I had no control over, I was barely keeping my head above water. I was failing my classes, constantly out of money, and deeply depressed.
It was extremely difficult to do everyday things, like get out of bed and go to class. I lost weight, I became sick more than usual; every aspect of my life was affected. I was desperately sad, and even worse than that, sure that I was worth absolutely nothing. I was certain that I would never be happy again. I was certain that I never deserved to be happy again.
Eventually, my friends and family started to worry. My roommates suggested that I make an appointment to see the Bishop, and I was shocked. I thought I had been hiding what was going on. It was a wake up call.
I started meeting with church leaders and soon moved home to OK. From counseling, I learned that most of my problems were from a result of very low self-esteem; I had been berating myself for years. After months and months of working on myself, and with the support of my family and the love of the Lord, I started to find my happy again. Shortly after, I met Brandon, and started a new life.
I have now been married for almost 5 years, and have two of the most beautiful baby girls. In the height of my depression, I never imagined a life as wonderful as what mine is now.

But that doesn't mean that I don't still struggle now and again. As a mom of two very young children, I am often worn out physically and mentally. I have many responsibilities and sometimes feel overwhelmed.
Now, I want to clarify again, that I know my life is good. I am married to a wonderful, devoted man whose first thoughts are providing for me and our daughters. My girls are my life, my everything, my reason for being on this earth. I have a beautiful life.

But I have found myself stagnating since Margot was born. Mostly, I think I am just tired. But there are days when a little nasty voice that I remember from so long ago starts  reminding me of all my failures and insecurities. These are the days that I sit on the couch in my pjs, can't seem to get the house clean and dinner made, am impatient with the girls and Brandon, and go to bed feeling horrible and bewildered. Why was I doing this? Why couldn't I be a better mom and wife?

I ran across a blog post today by a girl who reminded me of me. She spoke about her past struggles with depression, and having bad days. She gave a few tips to help those days get a little easier, like getting up and getting dressed, making a plan for the day, and eating a good meal (it seems silly, but on the bad days, it really is hard to do these simple things).

I had a little epiphany while reading. I am allowing myself to start down a dark road again. I have struggled with depression in the past and am never going to be completely cured. I will always have bad days, and there will always be that nasty voice in there, just waiting for me to let it creep back into my daily life.
This is a new concept for me. Until now, I thought that my bout of depression was a one-time thing. A small dot on the timeline of my life. But it's not. It will always be there.
Strangely, this is a comforting thought. I know now that when I have bad days, I am not being a bad mom and wife, I'm just working through my problems and tomorrow will be better.
I am suddenly struck with the thought that maybe I have been struggling a bit more than I have let myself believe. And it's ok. I can now make goals to work on it. I can recognize my hard days for what they are, and make them better.


I am not posting this to get sympathy or anything like that. Writing for me is therapeutic, and helps me put my thoughts together. This blog also serves as a bit of a journal for me, and my mom always taught me that writing things down helps you to remember them (betcha didn't think I was listening, huh Mom? hehe).

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing :) And also, this seems like an appropriate time to tell you - Joel and I were talking the other day about how annoying it is when young mothers make having kids seem awful. When they complain all the time about being tired, or the struggles they're having, or the lack of help from the husband, ......etc. We were talking about good examples of young mothers who don't do that, and both thought of our moms. I know it was hard for them sometimes, but I've never heard either one complain about the duties of being a mother. Anyway, the next day, you posted something and I was reading it, and I realized and wanted you to know that you're just as good an example to me in that regard as mine and Joel's moms. :) Life will always contain hard days and times, and I know that, but thank you for reminding me that, whenever Joel and I have kids, it will be exciting and happy and not just scary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing and so brave to open up about your struggles! Those are such hard things to deal with and I can understand completely what you are going through. Hearing your story is like reading my own. I was at BYU my first year when these feelings started surfacing, I have low self-esteem that makes me spiral down easily, as much as I know my life is great and I am blessed but still getting down and overwhelmed & feel terrible about myself. Yeah just all of it, ha. Thank you for opening up and letting others know they are not alone. It has helped me so much!! [and thank you for the shout-out, that was very sweet of you to do that!]. Please let me know if you ever need to talk!

    ReplyDelete