Sunday, August 11, 2013

Bookworm

I love to read, I'm a huge bookworm.

When I was young, my mom used to take my sister and I to the library in the summer, and let us get as many books as we wanted. We'd then take them home and have a "late-night-read," where we got to stay up as late as we wanted and read. We loved it!
My mom actually used to have to hide our books as punishment.

Huge bookworm.

Here's my top 5 favorite books, in no particular order.


1. The Harry Potter books - J.K. Rowling

Duh, like you thought Harry wouldn't make the list. You know how much I love Harry Potter. I read the first book when it came out, and have been a fan ever since. I stood in line at midnight when each book came out, and yes I dressed up. I've read each book upwards of 7 times. I'm obsessed. 



2. On Fortune's Wheel - Cynthia Voigt

My Jeannine-sister first read this book to Carrie and I as kids, and we loved it! Here's the summary:

"Birle has agreed to be wed to the huntsman Muir as an escape from the drudgery of life at her father's inn -- but the moment she looks into the bellflower blue eyes of the man she comes upon stealing one of her father's boats, Birle knows she cannot marry Muir. Even after she discovers the mysterious stranger is Orien, a Lord and as unreachable to an innkeeper's daughter as a star, Birle is determined to travel with him as far as he will allow.
Their travels take Birle to a world far from home, a world where Lords may become slaves, where Princes rule by fear, and where Fortune's Wheel turns more swiftly and dangerously than Birle could have imagined."
It's fabulous! You know I love a book when my copy is falling apart.



3. The Abhorsen Trilogy - Garth Nix

If you like fantasy, sci-fi, LOTRish books, you would love this trilogy. The first book, Sabriel, is my favorite. Here's the summary:

"Since childhood, Sabriel has lived outside the walls of the Old Kingdom, away from the power of Free Magic, and away from the Dead who refuse to stay dead. But now her father, the Mage Abhorson, is missing, and Sabriel must cross into that world to find him. "

The first time I read this book, I think I stayed up until 4 am to finish it.



4. A Midsummer Night's Dream - Shakespeare

This is by far my favorite Shakespeare play. It's short and sweet, and hilarious! Laughter, fairies, magic and love! It doesn't get much better!



5. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

I first read this book because it was required for my english class in the 8th grade. It's one of those stories that you never forget. It's about courage, acceptance, and doing the right thing. It won a Pulitzer Prize, folks!
Here's what amazon says:

"Compassionate, dramatic, and deeply moving, To Kill A Mockingbird takes readers to the roots of human behavior - to innocence and experience, kindness and cruelty, love and hatred, humor and pathos. " 

I couldn't have said it better myself!




What are your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment