Wednesday, October 2, 2013

I was crafty today.

Have you ever been to the website PS I Made This? It's awesome. Basically, she takes high end, expensive looking clothes and accessories, and teaches you how to make them for cheap.

Today I made some earrings, inspired by this tutorial:

I loved her collarbone length chain earrings, with the ombre effect, but I felt like they were a little too couture for me. Let's be real here, I'm a suburban housewife. So I modified them a bit.

I started out with some spare chains I had from making other jewelry, and some earring hooks from an old pair of earrings that broke. I grabbed some pliers and wire cutters, and some jump rings that I already had. 
Because I already had the supplies, this cost me $0. But if you want to go buy them, jump rings cost about $1.50 and you can get 30 inches of chain for about $5 at any craft store.


First, I measured how long I wanted the chins to be, and cut them all the same size. I divided my chains into two separate piles, making sure they were equal.


I then grabbed a jump ring, and thread each chain through it.


And placed them next to each other, to compare.


Then, I grabbed my earring hooks and put them through the jump ring too. 
Make sure all your gaps chains and jump rings are closed up nice and tight, and cut any chains that are too long.


And that's it!


I think it took me about 15 minutes from start to finish, and I'm seriously digging these earrings!


No comments:

Post a Comment