Thursday, October 2, 2014

Pumpkin Pasties

Happy October 1st! Let autumn commence!
To me, it doesn't feel like fall until October.  So in celebration of the beginning of fall, I whipped up some Harry Potter- inspired Pumpkin Pasties today!

"Around half past twelve there was a great clattering outside in he corridor and a smiling, dimpled woman slid back their door and said, 'Anything off the cart, dears?'
...He had never had any money for candy with the Dursleys, and now that he had pockets rattling with gold and silver he was ready to buy as many Mars Bars as he could carry -- but the woman didn't have Mars Bars. What she did have were Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans, Drooble's Best Blowing Gum, Chocolate Frogs, Pumpkin Pasties, Cauldron Cakes, Licorice Wands, and a number of other strange things Harry had never seen in his life. Not wanting to miss anything, he got some of everything and paid the woman eleven silver Sickles and seven bronze Knuts.
...'Go on, have a pasty,' said Harry, who had never had anything to share before or, indeed, anyone to share it with. It was a nice feeling, sitting there with Ron, eating their way through all Harry's pasties, cakes, and candies."
-Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Chapter 6


I've always imagines that Pumpkin Pasties were basically miniature pumpkin pies, and when I searched Pinterest for a recipe, I was right! I found a ton of recipes, but they all seemed to be pretty similar. In the end I chose this one.  Go check it out for pretty much every Harry Potter recipe you can imagine!

To make Pumpkin Pasties, you need all the ingredients you would need for pumpkin pie. Make some basic pumpkin pie filling. You know- pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, all that jazz!


Next, cut some small circles out of a pie crust. I used a store-bought crust that you can roll out, because I'm lazy like that. If you want to make a homemade crust, go for it!
 Spoon a small amount of your pumpkin mixture into each crust circle.


Fold each circle in half, and seal it all together using a fork. Voila! Pasties!


 Brush each Pasty with melted butter and sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on top, then bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 11-12 minutes.
I drizzled some condensed milk over the top of mine, because yum, but you can used whipped cream, or just eat them by themselves! 
Margot approves!


My only complaint was that I felt like they should be sweeter, so I think I'll add a bit more sugar to the filling next time. Or maybe some bits of toffee, or even chocolate chips!
Ok, I'm getting ahead of myself. Calm down, sugar brains.

I thing I'll try Pumpkin Juice next.

No comments:

Post a Comment