Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Being a mom is awkward.

Today I had a totally awkward experience in the land of mommyhood. It happens to every mom sometime or another: random strangers asking to hold your baby. Eeesh. Here's the story, my morning glories.
I breastfeed my children. I'm a firm believer in it. It's very healthy for both mom and babe, and it provides a sweet emotional bond. But I understand that breastfeeding makes many people uncomfortable. Especially public breastfeeding. Heck, it makes me uncomfortable.
Which is why, when the kid's gotta eat, I try to keep it as low-key as possible. I try to go to a secluded area, like a nursing lounge or another low-traffic spot, and I always bring a nursing cover. My worst fear when it comes to nursing is being like the woman who came into my hair school and proceeded to disgust us all with her pda: public displays of a-breasts.
So today, as Margot fussed her head off in the library, I knew the time had come. I discreetly pulled out my nursing cover, no sooner had I begun to feed her, a 9 or 10 year old girl ran up.
"Can I hold your baby?" she asked way too loudly. I was stunned. Whose kid is this? C'mon folks, control your young! I could understand if she were a 3 year old, but really? 10? She doesn't know it's inappropriate to ask strangers to hold their babies? At 10? And while I'm breastfeeding? Really?
After a pause, I told her "no, sorry" and she ran off to bother someone else.
You never get used to these moments guys.

3 comments:

  1. That's hysterical. I equate that to when a weird old man asked if he could show Owen a magic trick and I had visions of flashers... fortunately he only pulled a quarter out of his ear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My breastfeeding awkward moment was running into every person I knew at Walmart. I was wondering why they were looking at me strangely. Only after I got home did I discover I had leaked--from both sides-- down the entire front of my white shirt. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh laura, that's happened to me before too! Its terrible!

    ReplyDelete