Wednesday, September 4, 2013

I am confident in me!

Those of you who know me well, know that I love me. I really do! I like the way I look, I like my personality, I even like my singing voice. But mostly, I love that when I look in the mirror, I see a strong, capable, beautiful woman.

Now, I don't tell you this to be high-and-mighty, or brag about my awesomeness. (Though, I am pretty awesome.)

No, I tell you this to open a discussion. Why is it that so many of us, especially women, hate on ourselves so much? 

It's ok to love you! It's ok to look at yourself and see your flaws, but also see your assets! You're allowed to look in the mirror and see that you hate your hair, or that you need to lose some pounds, or even that you need some work on some deep-seeded issues. But you're also allowed to see how spectacular you are!

I didn't always love me. It's taken me my whole life to get here. In fact, several years ago, I really hated me. I constantly compared myself to others, who I deemed smarter, prettier, more talented, and more worthy of praise. I actually went to a counselor for a while to help, and she taught me something to show me how my view was flawed.

She had me make a list of everything that was good about me. Everything. From "I am usually a kind person" to "I have great shaped eyebrows."
My list wasn't very long.
She then had me go to my family and friends, and have them make the same list. They were to write down all the things that made me awesome. Their lists were huge!
I remember looking at what they said, and seeing things about myself that were absolutely true, and that I'd never thought about, or never qualified as "good." I learned a lot about me.
And in the months that followed, whenever I'd hit a rough patch and start down that dark tunnel of self-hate, I'd pull out those lists and be reminded of what I really had going for me. 

I still have to remind myself every once in a while; everyone has bad days. But those days are few and far between. Even when I am really zoning in on my stretch marks, haven't showered in days, and have a zit the size of Mount St. Helens forming in the middle of my face, I can see that I am beautiful. And when I've had a bad mommy day, am angry with myself and exhausted, I can see that I am intelligent, compassionate, and a good wife and mother.

I wish every woman, especially the women I am close to in my life, could see what I see. Yes, I am talking to you, mom and sisters! 

Start loving you!

2 comments:

  1. Kathleen!! I love this so much! I can tell just from your posts and pics that you have changed SO much in ... well the years since freshman year let's just say. I'm very proud of you. Love, your old freshman roommate.
    -Annaliese

    ReplyDelete