Monday, December 16, 2013

Pinterest-Mommy vs Real-Mommy

I remember in my mom's house growing up, there was a framed picture with this quote on it:


I remember sitting in my mom's room, and reading it over and over. I guess you could say I took this little poem to heart. 
Over the last four and a half years of being a mother, I've learned that this is exactly my style of parenting. If given the choice between playing with my girls and vacuuming the cracker-crusted floor, I almost always choose the kids.
And it doesn't always apply to cleaning; there are things that I don't always get done. 

But there is a phenomenon going on right now, I like to call Pinterest-Mommy.
Pinterest-Mommy is perfect. She does a million things, and does them all marvelously. She crafts and sews, refurbishes secondhand furniture, and makes her own laundry soap and magic bubbles for her kids. She works out every day to maintain her rockin' bod. She has a perfect catalogue house, throws fancy Hollywood style soirees with delicious, all-organic, homemade hors d'oeuvres, and does this all with coupons galore. 

Pinterest-Mommy isn't real. 
There are women who do some of these things, but I don't think any of us can handle trying to accomplish all of them.
Without losing our minds, of course.

I think most moms are like me: Real-Mommy. We cook and clean, we may craft here or blog there, but our houses aren't always tidy, our hair isn't always perfectly coifed, and our kids sometimes watch too much tv and eat frozen chicken nuggets.
And it's ok. 

Because our kids aren't going to remember weather the Christmas decor was handmade or not. They will remember their mom, playing and laughing with them. 

I don't have time to be Pinterest-Mommy, I'm too busy being real.

No comments:

Post a Comment