Saturday, June 30, 2012

I'm ranting

Since joining Pinterest, I've seen a lot of these floating around:


Posters showing some half naked woman with unbelievable ab-definition, with an inspirational quote about working out and being healthy. Usually, they're pretty harmless, but every once in a while, I come across one that is horrible. They use guilt and shame to motivate. And I hate them.
I understand that there are many people who are wanting to get in shape and may need something to get them going. But there is a difference between motivation and abuse. I don't think that self-hate is the way to go to get healthy; it only leads to problems. We all have our insecurities, but focusing only on them is a sure way to make us miserable. 
I think that as women, there is more pressure to look a certain way, wear a certain thing, weigh a certain amount. There are the supermodels, the actresses, and magazine covers to compare ourselves to. And when we don't add up, we sometimes obsess about it. I've been guilty of this myself. There was a time in my life that my self-esteem was so low that I couldn't look in the mirror and see anything I liked. I was so terribly unhappy. My low self-esteem was caused by some choices that I'd made, but instead of fixing my problems, my mind was transfixed on negatives. It wasn't until I started remembering what was good about me, that I started being happy again.
I think we sometimes need to remember that we are daughters of God. We are not, and will not be perfect anytime soon, but we all have beauty and worth. Being healthy is important, but being happy is part of that. The best kind of motivation is a good attitude. 

5 comments:

  1. I tooooooootally agree! One billion percent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! Thin does not equal healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I'm studying dietetics and exercise science, this is a grey area for me...

    The models pictured aren't thin, Deb, they are fit. There is a difference. "Skinny" people who don't work out still have unhealthy body fat percentage. Most of the pictures on Pinterest are of women who workout and eat healthfully, not overly-thin women who starve.

    Kathleen, you are right in that some of the pictures feature women who are over-toned (think body-building, protein powders, and --worse-- steroids) in lingerie. It's a bit much. I ask myself who would choose to post a picture like that in skimpy panties. Why not a bathing suit? It know, in terms of modesty, there is really no difference, but the context is entirely different.

    Unfortunately, those pictures are what some women call inspiration. They need an external motivator because they, themselves, do not want fitness just so they can be healthy (and live happy, healthy, longer, more productive lives)-- they want people to think they are "hot." It's sad to not want something because you want it, but to want something because you want to be wanted. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think what more and more people need to realize is that what you wear and look like does not make you, you. It's truly the bright personality and what's on the inside of a person that makes them perfect. I'm actually working on a post about body image right now for this week on my blog, so I've been thinking a lot about this too! Love this post, and this blog!

    http://haleybrianna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear ya. There's a quote my friend actually has framed on her fridge that says "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." I hate it SO much!!

    ReplyDelete