Monday, May 13, 2013

Day 13, Apology

May 13th- Issue a Public Apology

Today we went to the zoo. While looking at the bears, we saw woman there with her daughter, who was severely handicapped. Confined to a wheelchair and very small, she had some trouble moving her head to see the animals. Her sweet mom was turning her and pointing and cheerfully talking about the bears to her, and though she couldn't talk, she was listening.
Portia was watching this little girl, and after a few moments, asked me "What's wrong with her?" My heart broke. I pulled her away and told her that sometimes people are different. And that it doesn't mean that she is any less special, just that she is different.
I started thinking about this mom and her baby, and I thought about all the stares and rude comments they must endure.
My apology is to them today.
I'm sorry if my child offended you this afternoon, and I'm sorry if I said the wrong thing to her in response. I'm sorry that kids (and adults) can be cruel. I'm sorry for all the heartache you must feel at times, when people say or do mean things.
I hope you both had a fun day at the zoo.




No comments:

Post a Comment