Saturday, May 18, 2013

Day 18, I Remember a Twister

May 18th- Tell a Story From Your Childhood

It is prime tornado weather here in Oklahoma today. It's warm but cloudy, and really humid but windy. We are under a tornado watch until 11 pm, and I can almost feel the sky turning green. 
So, in loo of this, I will tell you about the time that I was in a tornado as a kid.

No, this is not a photo that I took. I just got it off the internet.

I don't remember how old I was, but I do know that I was young enough to be upset that I had to come inside and stop playing when the sirens went off. So probably around 5 or 6? Anyway. My Carrie-sister and I had been outside playing in the backyard all morning, with a lime green frisbee, like this one:


I think we had either found it or borrowed it from anther kid in the neighborhood, but I know it wasn't ours. 
The sirens went off, and my mom made us come inside, and I was upset. We had left the frisbee in the yard, and I just knew it would blow away.
We hung out in the bathtub, while my mom listened to the radio coverage of the weather. 
It is at this time that I realize that I have no memory of Daisy or Jeannine in this event. Maybe they were at school, or maybe the frisbee's safety took precedence in my mind. Sorry I don't remember guys. Obviously, you lived, so it's no big deal.
I remember at one point, leaving the bathroom and going to the back door, which was made of glass. I remember looking out, and seeing nothing but wind.  I wonder if this really happened, but it's in my brain. I don't remember feeling afraid, just worried about the frisbee. 
The tornado came and went, and when it was safe again, we went outside to check out the damage. The house was ok, maybe a few shingles missing, but the pine tree in the front yard was completely ripped out by it roots. It was laying on its side, with a huge pit where it had been. 
But I know what you're all wondering: what about the frisbee? It was still where we had left it in the backyard. That's the crazy thing about tornadoes, folks. I've seen houses half gone, with the pictures still hanging on the wall and the dishes still on the table.




No comments:

Post a Comment