Sunday, May 5, 2013

Day 5, Someone You Love

May 5th- Publicly Profess Your Love for Someone

This is an easy one. Today is May 5th, which is my dad's birthday! Of course I'm going to tell him how much I love him!

 My dad is the coolest dude you will ever meet! Seriously.
You want directions to anywhere ever? He can give them to you. You want to know where the best eateries in New Orleans are? He's your man. You want to hear about what The Rolling Stones, Meatloaf, or Dolly Parton are like in person? My dad can tell you. You need help deciding on the best sleeping bag to buy for a campout in January? Talk to my dad. You need help with rebuilding your classic car? You're in luck!
See what I mean? Cool dude.
My dad was a drummer in a band, and met all kinds of influential musicians. He lived in New Orleans, right in the French Quarter, playing music.
the band Prairie Swing, my dad is second from left, my uncle is standing

He drove a semi for years, all across the country. He was a mechanic, and knows pretty much all there is to know about cars. He knows about camping, biking, hiking, and pranking. Boy does he know about pranking.
I'm convinced that when writing the Harry Potter books, J. K. Rowling used a time turner and went back to LaGrange IN during the 50s and 60s, and hung out with my dad and his twin brother, Bill. That's where she got her inspiration for the Weasley Twins.
 Senior picture

The stories I've heard about my dad and his brother are hilarious. Like the time they put stinky cheese in the radiator at the schoolhouse and got school canceled for a week. Or the time they built 8-foot tall stilts and walked around town. Or when they got a group of kids together and carried their band instructor's car onto a tiny island in the middle of a lake and he couldn't get it back.
Hysterical!

But the best thing about my dad is that he is my dad. There has never been a time in my life that I doubted that my dad's first priority was me and my sisters. He has sacrificed for us, worked really hard for us, and loved us every day!    
me and my dad


I love you Daddy! Thanks you for teaching me about humility and service and unconditional love. Thanks for watching out for me, and loving me, and letting me tease you mercilessly (You know you like it)! You are a wonderful father and a perfect grandpa, and I'm grateful that I got in your line!
Happy Birthday!
 




1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that picture of him with Portia! And also the first picture is really cool :D

    ReplyDelete